Breeze Like Cotton

Monday, January 31, 2011

NEW YEAR, PAST BOOKS, NEW ONES



I've been neglecting this blog for so long that I thought that it was enough. I'm bringing it back to life. It's "Recalled to life" (I'm reading A tale of two cities by Dickens). I'm posting the last three comments about the three books a read before 2010 was over, I couldn't leave things just like that. I'm also going to start posting other stuff- I hope. I'm willing to revive this and not letting it just for book reviews (though I have three reviews left because this January I read them!!). I'll come back with more to say. This time there's no book picture, instead I stole this picture from tumblr. Now go ahead and read if you wish :)

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

What a strong story. I was amazed by Alex’s capability of destroying and killing in a blink of an eye at his 15 years old. You certainly wouldn’t expect his liking for arts, good manners and classic music, but since he represents maximized human instincts his love for all the beautiful and violence is natural.
The story represents that part of the society where you are expected to act as the authority and society determines, your free will is confined and your decisions are merely a response to the urbanity norms. Certainly it had an important meaning; the mere title is to think of a lot; “A clockwork orange”, an organic and juicy being acting mechanically.
At the start I was quite annoyed by the fact of learning all those “Nadsat” words, but suddenly I was repeating them in a daily basis, I liked them all. All the violence was hard to stand since those are the things I dislike the most but I focused in the meaning of everything and it helped me to finish without any problem and even enjoying every single page.
You’d love this book certainly; it really makes me think a lot about society and its rules. A kid’s adventures and hardships, a kid which favorite activity was to walk around England, visiting a Milk bar with his friends, killing for fun and stealing to keep enjoying, an intelligent and monstrous kid.

Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
As a classic book I shouldn’t be ranting it at all, I couldn’t understand more than a half of the book and its beautiful words were only processed superficially. I couldn’t stand reading more than “Hell”; Paradise was completely unbearable, I just loved the part of the angels because they are my favorite light entities. But that’s it. I can’t be able to write something about a book I couldn’t finish because I like it but because I should , I hate to be partial so I’ll stop here. I just can say that Hell was absolutely strong, it made me think a lot and a couple of quotes were subtracted because of their wisdom.
Read it if you like poetry, it’s a big poem, its words are beautiful but certainly I can’t appreciate them.

Farewell Waltz by Milan Kundera

This book was easy to read, it was short and concrete but there was a lot of information to digest. People doing and following their own ideas not changing nor backing off, just doing what they think was the best for their own. Each head living in its world, thinking, doing and trying to be true to themselves.
I loved the way the author takes everyday matters (like a man cheating on his wife) and turns them into something you think of as stupid; give it a thought you’ll realize that it’s not that stupid but real. I think Kundera thinks that human matters are stupid and he’s just being sarcastic by writing them as something intelligent and reasonable, that way you think they are stupid because he was trying to be reasonable. Maybe I’m just rambling but that’s what I think. I’m going to read more Kundera books, he really can teach lessons, Can’t he?

2 comments:

  1. Milan Kundera has been on my to read list for the longest time! Since you say Farewell Waltz is short, I believe I will start with that one!

    ReplyDelete