Breeze Like Cotton

Sunday, October 24, 2010

SMARTER THAN YOU

Book and books
Matilde by Roald Dahl


Matilde is such a beautiful and adorable story. Since the moment I watched the movie I fell in love with it and when I discovered that it was also a book I felt this urge of getting it as soon as possible. It was quite a long way to go to get it because it’s not a common book in Mexico but as soon as I was able to ask at the international book fair I found the perfect opportunity of putting my hands on that treasure. I felt really ignorant after knowing who the author was because the idea of Roald Dahl never came across. Anyway, I’m in love with this book, I felt the book more human than the movie. I loved the movie and it’s one of my favorite ones but the emotions at the book were more real, which is quite an irony since the book is mainly for children.
The differences between the book and the movie are huge but not that noticeable. In the book Miss Honey’s economical situation is poorer, her interest in Matilde is higher and her personality is weaker. Matilde is a lot more powerful and her intentions were purer, her parents were less important and her brother inexistent (she has her brother but is just mentioned a couple of times). The book has less content of course and the story of Trunchbull was shorter, but the emotions were certainly stronger. I’m not saying I loved the book more than the movie because in my opinion are not comparable, the movie achieved this need of filling the blanks to make a longer story with more content but the essence of the book is there, weaker, but it’s there. I love Matilde, she is my heroine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment